Volunteer at Out Youth
Out Youth has been blessed with more than two decades of generous community support, including an incalculable amount of sweat equity from volunteers.
Although most volunteers want to staff the Drop-In Center and interact with the youth, we need volunteers to help with a variety of areas. We are especially eager to recruit American Sign Language interpreters, and Spanish-to-English interpreters and translators.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please familiarize yourself with the information below, then plan to attend a Volunteer Information Session. These Information Sessions are a great way to learn more about Out Youth, the process to becoming a volunteer, and learning if the Out Youth culture is a good fit for you.
Requirements for Becoming a Volunteer
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to become a volunteer at Out Youth:
- Complete the steps to becoming a volunteer, outlined below.
- Must be 25 or older to volunteer directly with youth.
- Must make a minimum 6-month commitment to volunteering.
- Must attend volunteer orientation and submit an updated background check annually.
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
To become a volunteer at Out Youth, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Attend a Volunteer Information Session
- Complete a volunteer application
- Your application reviewed and an interview scheduled
- Complete the interview and reference checks
- If accepted, attend Volunteer Orientation
- Submit a background check
- Volunteer placement determined
- Training in team, project, or task-specific area
Types of Volunteer Placements
Volunteers at Out Youth can choose to participate on a Volunteer Team or join our On-Call Volunteer Service.
Volunteer Teams work together on specific projects such as fundraising, program planning, or home maintenance. These placements typically require volunteers to set aside a regularly scheduled block of time for meetings and other team-related work.
On-Call Volunteers provide their contact information to Out Youth and are contacted when one-off or short-term volunteer opportunities arise. These might include staffing a fundraising event, participating in a garage sale, or assisting with special programs at Out Youth.
Because Out Youth’s Volunteer Program is volunteer-run, we ask that you please attend a Volunteer Information Session before deciding to complete an application.
The Volunteer Information Sessions are a great way to learn more about Out Youth, our areas of greatest need, and determine if Out Youth is a good fit for you!
If you have any additional questions about volunteering at Out Youth, please contact the office at 512.419.1233 or email@example.com.